Friday, November 2, 2007

Spot Placement

Where you place the spots on your air is critical. I’m always surprised at how many stations still just throw promos on the log without much thought.

But even the ones who do it right(first position is king) probably are missing one key exception to that rule.

In maximizing the effectiveness of your log – have you taken into account where you spots ACTUALLY fall during network and syndicated shows?

Many times, we place our spots in first position. BUT – if you are in prime, chances are the network will take a commercial break before your local break rolls. That, in effect, puts your promo in the MIDDLE of one long commercial/bathroom break.

It is my belief that the promo should actually be LAST in that break.
People switch during commercials then come back. Viewers are so skilled at multi-tasking. By putting your spot closest to the content – then better off you will be. Not to mention our friends with DVRs, who will fast forward to the program and will now have the chance to catch at least part of your promo.

The same goes for syndicated programs as well.
It makes sense and I hope most of you have already figured this out – but I’ve never talked with a station that had.

Does anyone else have any great advice on promo placement?

It’s not sexy – but it’s critical to our success.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Your blog is the best thing to happen to our side of the business since Graeme Newell. I hope you take that as a compliment (not everyone would), because I mean it that way. Please keep it going!

IDOPROMOZ said...

Wow, that is quite a compliment! Thank you.

I'm a fan of Graeme's - although I've yet to really ever work with him. I've seen him at the Promax Road Show.

I'll keep up the blog and I hope everyone keeps coming and contributing their ideas as well.

Cuz I'm going to run out of ideas soon!

Thanks again...

Mike Lange said...

Spot placement is very critical to us. I always move promos to the tops of our breaks, but I can honestly say I've never thought about network taking a break before the local break rolls. That's good advice, i'll have to pay attention next week and see just what ABC does.

Mike
WKOW-TV

Anonymous said...

We actually have our traffic department make notations about Barter or network spots on the logs...

It helps decide whether top or bottom of the break is more effective.