Thursday, January 3, 2008

Station of the Year

Ok, I am impressed. It has been a long time since a station has really risen above the norm in my book. Sure, many stations do great promotion - but one has consistently done great creative.

So my first annual, IDOPROMOZ station of the year for 2007 is... WCCO.

They have used humor to really connect with viewers... have some interesting segments in their newscasts...



and promote that station unlike any other out there. Many stations try humor... WCCO succeeds.

Check out the 2 spots on 602communications page right now:

http://602communications.com/

And how's this for a great idea? An entire newscast, live from the state fair, that's entirely powered by humans:



I think I've already mentioned these spots - but these are great ways to get your talent endeared to the audience. Plus some really good writing. I'd be very interested in knowing how these spots came about. I'd doubt they just rolled cameras... these are too good:



I think these guys are doing a fantastic job and if anyone else has any great WCCO spots - please share with the class.

And don't agree with me on this? Write and let us all know who you would vote for your station of the year.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Wendy McMahon. I think she's at WBZ now, but these have her name written all over them. I think she had some really talented producers and graphic artists too that are now heading WCCO's creative . But you're right. They think about promotion the way we all should be. They give viewers the credit they deserve, by being smart and accessible and not bragging. Enough bragging already! Makes the millions of Live-local-latebreaking spots a lot of us keep doing look like class projects.

CBS 4 in Denver seems to get it, and the CBS in Austin looks headed in the right direction too. I wanna be like them when I grow up.