Saturday, March 22, 2008

1st Annual PromOscar Awards

In the great tradition of the Emmy... the Academy Awards... and the Denny's Employee of the Month program.... I present to you, live from the IDOPROMOZ world headquarters in sunny Orlando, FL the first ever PromOscar Awards competition for:

NEWS IMAGE

(cue cheesy music)

To the right, you will find a poll for you to vote on your favorite image promo of all time. These are some of the better promos I've seen out there in Youtubeland.

I invite you... no I beg you to comment below on your favorites. Lets talk about these promos - what makes them great, what makes them suck... whatever you'd like to say: here's your chance. Now's your time to share your fountain of knowledge and give back to the President and CEO of IDOPROMOZ... by contributing to the site.

WCCO: Coffee Talk




WFAA: The Time is Now




WBZ: Curious



WABC: News Van



WBNS: 50th Anniversary



KRON: Before they got butchered and were actually a good station



WNBC: 4 New York



WCBS: This is Where We Live



KHOU: Everything Superbowl (ok, this one is mine - so be gentle!)




Vote often and share your thoughts below...

5 comments:

IDOPROMOZ said...

The WBNS spot is running away with the competition! I wonder if they whole promo department over there is voting!

It is a great spot and I think what makes a lot of these spots work is music. It is a great reminder that music can make or break a spot. Even the WFAA spot, which has no lyrics, uses beautiful music.

What else do you guys think makes these spots stand out? The shooting? The scripts? The concepts? Discuss...

Anonymous said...

I voted for the wbns spot and I don't work there.
It's a spot you can watch over and over and not get tired of. I think the juxtaposition between the contemporary music and the archival audio works great. Yes I think sound often trumps visuals. It also has one clear message and it follows the axiom: show, don't tell. I can't recall any of the specific verbiage but I certainly get what the spot is about.
I don't think a consultant or most news branding gurus would ever suggest producing a news promo like a music video which this essentially is. But it seems to resonate.

Anonymous said...

I would be proud to have produced any of these. Here are some thoughts on each:

WCCO: Very Unique, great storytelling with movie quality shots. Probably resonated quite well with the viewer.

WFFA: Fabulous production, stellar editing and writing that doesn't self indulge, but rather tugs at emotion. The perfect cut of music.

WBZ: More is less. I love these simple photo driven spots that are becoming more popular. Music wins over station voice. Bagpipes suck, though.

WABC: Creative and well done, but not in the same class as the rest of these. There should be a separate category for comedic news image.

WBNS: Phenomenal! This is network quality promotion done in the 34th market with, I'm sure, little or no resources (no film house did this NYC). I'd like to know who did this and bring them up to my station.

KRON: Nic shots, good writing. Nothing groundbreaking, but definitely one to put at the top of a reel.

WNBC: Typical NYC promo. I'd almost be surprised to see something other than wide angle shots of cops, ballet dancers and sunset shots. Not a fan of the slogan or song. Does NBC do this in house or is it farmed out?

WCBS: Similar to above -- better music and less hokey. How come I never see the fake Prada purse seller in these spots...aren't they the most prevalent thing in NY?

KHOU: Well done, great energy, editing and production. I would think network if I didn't know better.

IDOPROMOZ said...

Chris -- those were some great, constructive comments on the spots... thanks!

I always love seeing what others think about spots.

Anonymous said...

The WBNS and WCCO spots are my favorites here. The CCO spot really gives the viewer a chance to feel connected to the anchors. Very well shot. The BNS spot is such a cool way to do an anniversary promo. I'm jealous that they had access to so much great archive footage! The juxtaposition of the old and new was done very well. I can watch that spot over and over!

If you're reading...great job to those involved with those spots!