Monday, May 5, 2008

CBS News Promo

Check out this promo:



Seems like a typical spot. But am I being picky by saying this: I don't think Katie should refer to him as her "lifeline"... and his line about emailing him so he can explain something in greater detail could be taken as being directed at Katie herself.

Does an anchor who's #3 in the ratings need to come across as someone who needs a "lifeline"? Sure - he's the expert, I get that - but does Katie really need to make comments that make her seem less knowledgeable?

Or am I just being too overly sensitive to this? What do you think?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Watched it before I read your comments... I think you're being a little nit-picky. I never once got that impression from this spot.

It started out "typical" (almost to where I zoned out) but Jeff's "I have no life" line was good. I like that they're giving it a human touch.

I just don't see how they plan to differentiate themselves. You cannot emulate BriWi or ABC and expect everyone to come to you... You have to do something different. What that is and whether it's worth the risk, I dunno.

The politics focus might be a good differentiator but everyone, including cable news, is going for that one.

Anonymous said...

I don't think you're being picky. CBS has enough problems with Couric's lack of an audience to be focusing on Greeny. I like the spot (especially if she did the Early Show).

Anonymous said...

agreed. where are CBS' promotional priorities?

it's a nice image spot for 'ole boy'jeff greenfield, though

and, i agree, the email line adds a lil' bit of

"hmmm... i might like this guy" type of personality to the spot

would that be what I chose to focus on if I was in that chair? ummm...no

-nick