Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Hate your job? Give a tour!

If you've done this as long as I have, you get burned out at times. Its easy to forget just how much we loved this when we first got into television.

Of course, TV has changed. Our roles have changed. But somewhere, deep inside, is a true passion for what we do. Otherwise, besides the massive paychecks, why would we do this everyday?

Last week, I was asked to give a tour of the station to a group of 20 kids and parents. It really brings you back to what it is like to walk into a television station for the first time. I enjoy getting the kids excited about TV, answering their questions and I find myself trying to lure the children(wait, where is this sentence going?) - let me rephrase... I find myself trying to convince these kids television would be a great job to have someday.

Now, lets be realistic. TV will no longer be TV when these kids grow up. So I show them the internet department, the graphics team and the technical folks. The technology will get better and change and who knows what TV will be in 10 years. But as excited as I was to tape pieces of paper together and run it through a crank teleprompter - these kids will be excited about uploading the latest newspod(now with smell-o-vision!) to your Apple Brain.(yes, the computer will just be wired right into your brain, trust me on this... don't fight it.)

I wanted to work in television so bad when I was a little kid. And giving these kids a tour reminded me of that.

Plus, its always great to meet your future bosses. Maybe they'll remember my little tour... right before they fire my ass. Ah, now that would be sweet indeed.

3 comments:

Aussie Mom said...

Hey! Love your blog. I work in the biz and actually give tours. I agree-it really does re-energize you on why you decided to get into this business...and why you decided to stay. Check out my blog...
http://blogs.wncn.info/mbalbo/

I will add you to my favorites.

Victor said...

"And this bright green screen is where our weatherman does all of his weather. Now you.." (pointing to kid in bright green shirt) "...stand in front of the screen."

(gasps from tour as ONLY BILLY'S HEAD is visible on the monitor! It's a floating, body-less head!)

(chaos ensues as all kids now rush to stand in front of camera to see if they are also headless. Tour guide secretly smiles to him/herself as studio technicians panic when kids start getting too close to cameras or greenscreen.)

"Okay everyone, now I'm going to take you to a place where the dregs of society gather... the employee break room..."

Anonymous said...

I just left a station that still does tours. My staff usually conducted them, but I made sure I took one once a month or so, for that very reason!