Tuesday, April 1, 2008

Book Report: Marketing Outrageously


At first glance, I would never have read this book. The cover says its about:

How to Increase Your Revenue by Staggering Amounts!

Yuck. A sales book? Sure its about marketing - but how much of it could I apply to what I do?

Well... after devouring this book in a few days, I'm here to tell you:

GET THIS BOOK!

Jon Spoelstra is a former general manager for various sports teams, including the Portland Trailblazers. In the book, he shares many tales of rethinking general marketing strategies. His goal was to increase sales. Ours is to increase ratings. Nearly every story, cleverly told in an easy-to-read format, has something us promotions people can use.

I even walked away from the book with a new, better understanding of sales and how my job can and should devise new revenue opportunities for my station.

- He has an interesting theory about reach and frequency(it has me wanting to try a radical approach to primetime promotion)
- He has some interesting theories on print advertising - ones I never believed in, until I read his book
- He has some great stories on companies that set themselves apart from the competition in ways that were risky... but paid off big

I've just ordered his other book, Ice to the Eskimos. I'll let you know how that is when I'm done.

Thanks to Drew for suggesting this book. Read it. It will open up your mind and make you a better marketer.

2 comments:

Promogirl said...

Hmm. Off to order... thanks for the suggestion. ;-)

Mike Lange said...

ditto. Your suggestion of "Made to Stick" was a good one. I think I'll try this one too.