Wednesday, April 23, 2008

KWTV Weather Promo

Our friend Paul Greeley passed on this spot today. Here's Paul's setup for the spot:

Gary England is an Oklahoma City legend as the go-to guy for severe weather, which of course, includes tornados. The spotter is Val Castor, although seldom seen, he’s heard always in the on-air interplay between Gary and him when they actually cover tornados.

The creator of the spot is really a film-maker as you can tell from the cinematic feel of the spot.




What do you guys think? Paul would love to hear your comments.

My take, as I told Paul, was that it was beautifully shot and did something most promos never do... it told a story. It engages the audience. I'm always 50/50 on "acting" in spots - it always makes me a little uncomfortable - but this isn't way over the top.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow. I am impressed by the production quality. Wonder what the budget was for a spot like this, and what production company did the effects. If they were in house, they're not paying the artist enough.

Anonymous said...

I also am curious if this was done in-house or out of house. I have seen KWTV weather promos before and thought they were over the top. Remember the one John Stewart poked fun at? This one I think is a good balancing act. If it was less dramatic and less cinematic, I think it would confuse some people into thinking it was an actual warning. Very well produced, and I'm assuming effective since I think KWTV owns the weather brand in that market.

IDOPROMOZ said...

Paul let me know that the spot was done out of house, by a local ad agency called Skyline.

They are the same folks who did the now "infamous" Jon Stewart spot.

IDOPROMOZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
IDOPROMOZ said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

to me it's a spot that scares the SNOT out of the viewer - depending on what market you're in, maybe that works? for my DMA, viewers are more into the softer sell with emotional core drivers - not the 'if you don't watch us, we won't be able to protect you' type of stance

-just my humble opinion
-it's whatever works BEST in your market