Friday, October 10, 2008

New WFAA Spot

There's a lot you need to know before watching this next promo. This is from WFAA in Dallas - one of the best in the country.

It features weatherman Pete Delkis and sportscaster Dale Hansen. Each night during the news - these two like to give each other grief. They're known for it. And Hansen is WELL known for his larger than life personality. People in Dallas seem to eat it up. So that's setup #1.

Setup #2: This is based on(apparently because I've never seen the show) the closing of Boston Legal.

Now... watch and we can discuss:



First off, cigars and booze in a news promo? Its Dallas - so maybe we can let that slide.

Second, basing a promo off a show thats been on the air for years? Odd.

Third - talk of sleepovers and madcow disease? Hmmm.

Different - that's for sure. It does play off their personalities... which is interesting. But I'm not sure. What do you all think?

8 comments:

DART passenger #79,571,224,654 said...

I had to watch this like 9 times. I'm amazed.

Gorgeous looking spot, I'm wondering if they farmed it out to Hothaus or if it was done in house.

Being from Dallas, I love it as a personality spot. You're right though it is odd to base it off of something a few years old and not that recognizable.

ericamayer said...

love it :-)
different, and shows real personality with the talent...makes them very relatable.
beautifully shot, too.

i dig it.

IDOPROMOZ said...

From what I heard - this was done by Hothaus. Beautiful - like all of their work.

Anonymous said...

Most importantly it's entertaining for those of us who are not in that market.

It looks great!

Anonymous said...

the last line bugs me...

"sleep over tonight?"

ummm.

Anonymous said...

I'm baffled by the spot. Love the personality aspect. But I can't believe they're drinking. To me that's over the top even for Dallas.
And from what I understand WFAA farms out most of their work. Imagine that kind of budget!

Anonymous said...

Makes sense to me if it's run during Boston Legal. Perfect "hey, stay around. These guys are just like Denny and Alan!" Otherwise, if you don't watch the show, then you really wouldn't get it.

Anonymous said...

I don't watch Boston Legal, but the spot mostly works anyway...great for showing and selling them as personalities and it's beautifully shot. I wouldn't have used the sleepover line. I'm assuming that makes sense for BL fans, but for the rest of us...huh?