Tuesday, March 16, 2010

Resume Reels

A friend of mine was asking for advice on his resume reel and I figured I'd ask you guys:

- How long should it be? (# of spots, etc)
- Format? DVD, VHS, online?
- Animated menus or keep it simple?
- Montage or no montage?

My personal reel was very simple. My belief is animated backgrounds and a bunch of menus are overkill. Mine had about 8 or 9 minutes worth of material broken into 3 categories(image, sweeps & entertainment/sports)... that worked for me - it may not for others.

As for format -- DVD or whatever the ad says. I wish I knew how to create a super duper website with all my work - but all I can do is this lousy blog because blogspot makes it so freaking simple! :)

Montage? Eh, maybe -- but probably not. I often wondered if it helped showcase your range of visual styles,etc. In the end though - your work can speak for itself.

So... CSDs, promo producers & random anonymous drunkards -- what are your thoughts?

3 comments:

Frank Willson said...

I would much rather see it online initially. No less than 5 minutes and know the shop you're sending it to... If it's a hard news station don't send goofy event promos. If it's a more fun station don't send serious news image. Customize it and the person viewing will appreciate it more.

Anonymous said...

Show me your best work, period.
DVD
No menu PLEASE
No montages
Good luck!

Anonymous said...

I have a strong reel so I let it speak for itself. If I have any info onscreen, it's with simple, clear graphics. Have faith in your work. Let it do the talking. Sample spots online are a fantastic way for quick reference.