Thursday, February 21, 2008

Turning the Tables on News

Have you ever had your competition steal a sweeps story from you - after seeing your promos?

It happens and apparently someone thinks it has happened in Kansas City. So what did they do? Turn the tables on the news director at KCTV by doing their own ambush interview. Check it out:




You can read the entire story here:

http://www.pitch.com/2008-02-21/news/ambush/

It is interesting to see when a station trys to steal another's thunder. I've never been part of doing it - only part of the station that was being copied. An interesting, very aggressive sweeps tactic.

What do you think? All's fair in love and (sweeps) war? or that's too sleezy, even for you?

2 comments:

Promogirl said...

Um... wow. That's a tough one. We all laughed when we saw this, but we cringed, too. I've worked in markets where a story was stolen (by the other station, not the ones I worked for, thankfully) but this is a line I don't think I would cross to get revenge. It's all part of the game but this takes it a bit too far.

Took some guts, though, I'll give them that!

Anonymous said...

I like it for the web. Don't run it on air. I think you have a little more latitude for the web. Good for them for sticking up for their product.