Wednesday, January 23, 2008

My Jerry Maguire Manafesto

It is interesting to hear comments about the WBZ spot I posted earlier this week.

And while I don't think it is the best spot I've ever seen, far from it, I do believe I "get" what the point is... and I think its a hard thing for us promo people to understand.

It's not about showing the anchors or touting our news coverage - there is a time and place for all of that.

We are so used to giving people topical information, so used to talking all about ourselves under the guise that "we're doing it for you", we're so used to "making it personal" by using the word you a lot - that I think we've rarely gone for the type of promotion WBZ is clearly going for.

Making a true connection. Being a "club", if you will, that the viewers want to be part of. Creating a true personality for the station that viewers feel represents their very own personality.

It's a lot like humor. I really like comedians that have my sense of humor. My sense of humor is influenced by certain comedians. They say the things I'm thinking or wish I'd have thought of.

It's like Starbucks. They represent something people want to be a part of. Come on, you knew it wasn't the coffee, right? They cultivated an image - one that customers wanted to be part of. It was cool to go there... hang out... carry your silly little Starbucks container. It was hip. You wanted to belong.

Can't a station make the same connection with people?

Every freakin' station in the country is basically the same. Isn't it possible to break out of that mold and create a connection to viewers in a way like never before? Topicals will always be important but should image get away from the same old generic promo shots and same old language?

Can I have an Amen?

You can't represent everyone - but if you can be that cool coffee shop or that clever comedian everyone wants to know and listen to... don't you think you could drive loyalty and ratings?

This little blog was right off the top of my head and I certainly haven't figured it all out - the good and the bad - so please, discuss. Tell me I'm nuts. Tell me I'm on to something... whatever.

And trust me - I understand there will be a lot of "oldtimers" left in the dust by this sort of thing. I, as an oldtimer myself, do not plan to be left behind. I want to find myself at the forefront of whatever is next in this business.

If we don't stop screaming the same promo bullshit and if we don't actually revolutionize this business and reshape the current messages viewers clearly aren't connecting to anymore - we're all in trouble.

4 comments:

Promogirl said...

I'll give you an Amen, brother.

While I confess to not being a huge fan of the promo you're talking about (the bagpipes were awfully grating) I did admire the message and the technique. We do need to find new ways to reach our audiences who are now very savvy to the methods we've been employing the past decade.

Finding stations willing to go along with this kind of outside the box thinking, however, is even rarer than discovering an original idea.

Hats off to WBZ for trying to break the mold. Whatever all of our impressions of the spot have been I bet it did do what the best promos do...

It got people's attention.

Anonymous said...

The problem is finding the backing of management to go out on a limb and do these sorts of things.

Even our creative "bosses" are often pigeonholed into the same, tired image campaigns featuring the same, tired promo language.

As a producer, I think it's important to always push the envelope with these type of ideas. I know my ideas are shot down left and right, but I keep comin' with them.

Once in awhile something sneaks through...

Victor said...

I agree with everything you said about making a connection with the viewer, however I don't see that WBZ commercial leading the way.

I agree that it was a nice spot, but besides the music, I didn't see anything in that spot that made me feel like part of a club.

(Oddly enough, I just emailed you some NBA promos that kind of hit on the same sort of connection you're talking about in here.)

What are the ways that a viewer can feel like part of a club? Where does he say "This is MY station."

Bindaredundat said...

Waht every station should know: Your audience is waiting for you to make them proud.
Make them proud to call you their favorite station.
Make them proud to know your anchor's names.
Make them proud to trust you, that you won't cry wolf.
Most of all, make them proud to recommend you to others.