Thursday, May 15, 2008

This makes me angry.

I know I should go easy on what appears to be a very small market... but these promos are not only poorly done - they make no sense. What's the marketing message?

If I were to receive a resume tape with these spots on it - I would burn it. No - wait, I would hire the person just so I could yell at them and then fire them 20 minutes later. This is not the kind of work anyone who wants a job in television should be doing. These promos are probably from someone new to the business so I should give them some slack - but damn it, these spots suck so bad - no slack should be given! I'm kinda kidding about all this - but I really do think this is the worst I've ever seen.

Read the "intro" written by the producer, as posted on youtube:

So in September of '07 I pitched a crazy idea for a bunch of weather promos for the station. The story is far to long to tell, so I'll sum up by saying that I got the approval to go for it, and I did. The reaction to the spots were so amazing, it seemed that everyone was talking about them. People either loved them and hated them, but either way... they were talking about them. These are those crazy funny spots.


Here... ugh... are the "crazy, funny" spots:













This is the very definition of spots made for the producer - not for the audience. There is no way these were based on anything that makes sense to real marketers.

The only thing I want to know from the producer is - who is your dealer? They are selling you some really good shit.


WAIT!! THIS JUST IN!!! Here is further proof this producer is smoking the good stuff. Actually, this may actually be his dealer.

9 comments:

Unknown said...

the shocking twist...

this guy has been a promo producer for 8 years!

And that rambling nonsense about a dog and a cat was posted YESTERDAY!

Seriously, these spots make that canadian couple ("do you need a video for your web page")look like the Wachowski's.

Anonymous said...

It's not just the producer's fault. There were a lot of people involved in the production of these spots. I blame them all. Even the person who made the costumes.

Victor said...

Hey... the at least the girls playing Hi and Lo were kinda hot.

And comparing someone to the Wachowski's nowadays isn't saying much...

Anonymous said...

Are you sure these are real? The first one was :43 long! Who runs :43 spots?!

Mike Lange said...

Worst...spots...ever.

Anonymous said...

Awful. An absolute embarassment to our profession.

Anonymous said...

The girl in the sun costume who doesn't stop dancing makes me want to hurt myself and others.

Anonymous said...

Jim Byrne should be ashamed for not putting his foot down and refusing to do those. That's ridiculous! My first graders could have come up with something better.

Anonymous said...

I don't know...I'm torn.
Yes, they were shot poorly-and had bad audio, etc...
But, I applaud the station for trying to do something different.
How many countless "scary doppler we have 60 years of experience" weather promos can the audience really take?
Afterall, they took a risk-and buzz, is buzz...
I'm willing to bed that said "dopplar 500" promo didn't get nearly as much water cooler talk.
Just my 2 cents. I'm not saying a love them, but sometimes as producers we become a bit jaded-and fall into a rut. Graphic text here, copter footage there, swish pan to talent here...
If the production and acting was better, some of these could have had some great, funny moments. Key word...COULD have.