Wednesday, March 26, 2008

PromOscar Spots

Someone commented on all the spots yesterday and I thought I'd share my thoughts on them as well. Why? Because its my blog and I don't have anything else to blog about! (Plus I'm on semi-vacation this week)

WCCO: I love these spots. No scripts... great shooting... a great wrapup. These spots are everything promotion usually isn't. I walk away feeling like I know these people better.

WFAA: This has always been one of my favorite spots. Done in 1998 - this was one of 3 :60s that are beautifully shot and written. Back when I first saw this spot - I didn't know much about FAA. But I had to figure after seeing this spot - that WFAA had to be the biggest and best in town.

WBZ: Nice and simple. I happen to like the bagpipes and I have now downloaded the song to my Ipod. No hitting you over the head with generic news crap - this goes to the heart of what people are thinking and worrying about without trying to be the hero on the horse to save the viewing public.

WABC: A good concept... nicely executed.

WBNS: I've done 50th anniversary spots. This is the spot I wished I had produced instead. Rich with archive footage - this spot highlights the present as well. You get the real sense that for the entire 50 years - these people have been on top of it all and will continue to do so into the future.

KRON: Nice spot - great music - gentle sell. I like this one alot. The script is very well written.

WNBC: I can understand bringing back the 4 New York campaign but I think these spots border on being elitist. The people shown in this spot do not reflect the people of NYC well. It seems to scream "If you're rich and part of high society or perhaps maybe a super model - watch us!"

WCBS: A bit of background information on this spot -- it was done after 9-11. I lived in NYC at the time and I can tell you, being a New Yorker was something people took great pride in. I think the strategy behind this campaign was spot on - "There's No Place I'd Rather Be" was a great line for the time.

KHOU: Ok, I had something to do with this one...yeah, yeah, yeah. I think this spot and the others we did around Superbowl time, in addition to fantastic news coverage, really helped play a part in turning that station from 3rd to 1st. We showed some personality and really owned Superbowl coverage. It was a key moment in the station's history. The company we worked with to do the spot did an amazing job... thanks Ross!

No comments: