Thursday, April 10, 2008

Great Management

I'd like to start a dialogue about managing creative departments... specifically, positive feedback.

What have you done lately to let your department know it is appreciated? Or what has your boss done to make you feel valued.

As this business gets tougher and finding good employees gets even tougher - what are we doing to encourage good work, out-of-the-box thinking and for going the extra mile?

I once worked for a boss who always brought his staff out to dinner after a hard fought sweeps. Win or lose - we'd go to a terrific restaurant. I felt appreciated.

I've had courtside seats at an NBA game, courtesy of a boss. I've received free icecream on Fridays during sweeps. I've had others decorate the office with framed storyboards of our best work, complete with credits.

One of my favorites is getting an email from the GM or my boss saying what a good job I'd done. Now, what did that take? A few moments of his time? But it meant the world to me, especially as a young producer.

Another technique that isn't an "atta-boy" but let me know how much my boss respected me? He didn't keep secrets from me. As a junior producer, I'd get pulled into his office and told "This is confidential - but you should know the image spot for so and so - stop working on it - that person may be leaving the station."

I was a young pup... but my boss trusted me enough to reveal information that could get him fired. Dumb on his part? No, not if you trust your team. He knew I needed to know that information and he told it to me. No lectures on "Don't tell anyone!" -- it was understood. That is a story that had a longlasting impact on me. I was treated with respect... and I will always hold that boss in high regard.

So... what do you do to lift your team? What has a boss done to make you feel appreciated? I hope this elicits some great responses.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

As my stations's number 2 in the Marketing Department, I'm fortunate to be learning management skills from one of the best bosses in the biz. She's an old school marketer who has done similar things to what you mention. She's taken us to dinner, we'll do occasional afternon "retreats" which usually means drinks and games at Dave and Busters.(It's a bar/arcade for grown ups if you're not familiar with the chain.) If there's ever a concert or show an employee wants to see, she uses her connections to try and get them tickets.
She too gives us information that really shouldn't leave the department head level, but trusts us to keep it close to the vest.
And she's never criticized our work or shot down and idea. She gives us the freedom to do our jobs without meddling or nitpicking.
Our GM will have cookouts for the staff or provide food for everyone to celebrate big moments or employee retirements. When the station has a shining moment, he sends out kudo e-mails to everyone. He'll also recognize individual accomplishments in staff meetings. He's all about recognizing those who deserve it.
I've learned a lot from My boss and our GM. I've given co-workers tickets to Broadway shows. When the Sales department offered me tickets to our loge at an MLB game, I gave those to our department members and stayed behind to finish logs and cover their work. I'm not trying to toot my own horn, but just demonstrating that the best bosses lead by example and how that their lead can inspire others. And we've got one of the best.

Anonymous said...

Might sound a little glib, but an old boss of mine said that 97 per cent of the job is treating people the way you want to be treated and the rest is paperwork. That's what I try to let guide me when I'm in doubt about a difficult decision.

I make it a point to do all the things you described too, including sharing confidential stuff when necessary.