Sunday, October 5, 2008

WKMG Promo

UPDATE: The user has mysteriously removed this spot from Youtube. Sorry folks, nothing to see here.

I have to admit - this is from my competitors here in Orlando - so I'm supposed to dislike their stuff -- but this spot is so melodramatic.

They tend to go for the "emotional" soft sell approach in their work - and I think fail more times than not.

Their anchor is good and a very nice person - but her promo reads tend to be more "acted" for my taste.

Also - the video technique in this spot is just awful. I can't concentrate on anything and the shot selection is average and pretty generic.

On the plus side, I like the location(its different) and the anchor is shot nicely.

Thoughts?

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

Near miss, in my opinion.

Great location, I agree that the video treatment could have been much better...in a room that big, maybe some sort of sheet or screen with the video "projected" on it?

But what bothered me most was the blocking. The unstopping walk to our left. Maybe a few steps, then stop for a bit?

I'm being nitpicky (as most of us are, I guess), but a few small tweaks could have turned this "okay" promo into something really memorable.

Do you know where this is? I used to live in Orlando, but don't recognize the room.

Anonymous said...

I agree.

I also don't like her read. She sounds forced and she just doesn't fit with the music or the treatment.

Anonymous said...

It'd be fine if she knew how to act like a human. Her read ruined the whole spot.

And the constant walking began to be a littl weird.

Mike Lange said...

Her delivery even....makes me cry.

Anonymous said...

Could....her....read....be....any....slower?

I imagine the promo prod - realizing they wrote :20 of copy for a :30 spot - saying over and over again, "A little slower this time."

Anonymous said...

I agree the location was fantastic. Nice lighting.

But the anchor did feel stiff and looked like she was trying to find her marks on the floor. Her movement wasn't fluid at all and Captain Kirk would have been proud of the read.

Anonymous said...

Seriously, stop walking to the left...

Anonymous said...

Does she read the news like that?

How do they get any ratings at all?

The technique is totally distracting. I don't know where to look. I only looked at the anchor and missed everything over her shoulder.