Tuesday, November 6, 2007

NOW THAT'S DIFFERENT!

There are a few stations out there that really take creative to the extreme. I'm not sure what I think about it... it certainly seems to be working for some. WCCO has done some great creative and WCNC in Denver does some great/interesting things.

Some of the spots I love. Some I don't get. Some I dislike. But they create a reaction. I'm much more conservative in my style than these - but I wondered what you all thought of these spots. I showed them to a coworker who hated them.

Yesterday, I gave the opportunity to criticize my work... today, lets do it to someone else's!!!







I think there are some really interesting concepts here and I'd love to know how they rank in the market. My hat is off to anyone who breaks the mold, especially if they create an identity for themselves in a promo world that is so bland. Lets discuss... good, bad and ugly.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Starting with the first set: two very good election promos. Much better than the typical "The latest returns and everything you need on election day" spots we've all done a million of. I realize they probably had to do that spot too, but these two special reports made me want to watch. Next, I always dislike borrowed concepts, no matter how well done. The ID theft spot disappoints me. The rest are good...different...the problem with these spots sometimes is that they let concept override clarity. Not the case here, and if you try this approach (more like an agency would do news promotion) you have to keep that in mind. I love the investigative spot. It slaps all of us in the face who've done those reporter acting tough investigative spots. It's great.

Only things I really disliked were the football spots with the ping pong and the elephant soccer. Concepts are a little forced, and they seemed to drag on too long.

As for the WCCO spots: hard to argue with their numbers...I'm pretty sure they moved from 2 to 1 in this market in conjunction with this campaign, that included other spots and focused heavily on their anchors. Those four 'origins' spots are well-crafted and don't overload you with copy.

Promogirl said...

It was quite a jolt to see the CBS4 spots here as I was actually going to ask you today if you'd seen them... hmm...

I rather like the Bronco's spots. They catch your attention and they made all my co-workers laugh. And yeah, gotta love the investigative promo. That one takes a nice knock at all of us.

As for WCCO... they've been doing some interesting promos for years. I remember a campaign a few years back that featured at least one of their anchors using a Hula Hoop. I know they also had a pretty out there spot to promote their website - some sort of cafe or deli with their people behind the counter. I don't always like their spots but I admire their willingness to do something different.

Anonymous said...

I see a lot of wcco spots. I too admire them for being able to do something different. The problem with some of their work however, (not these specifically) is that they let their own cleverness get in the way of providing a clear message. I'm sure they do real well on award nights but are some viewers left going 'huh?'