Monday, January 7, 2008

New Morning Spots: Day 1

Today we shot new morning show promos with our new morning anchors. The idea is for them to be "get to know you" spots. I asked them all kinds of questions. I asked the normal "what's it like to wake up so early" questions. I asked "If you were invisible, where would you go?"

The idea was to relax them, make them laugh a little bit and get answers that aren't the norm. I hope it went ok. I thought the anchors were great - they had some good stories and really showed some great personality.

Now... the hard part. Editing. Constructing spots. Writing interesting font copy to go with the interviews.

Hopefully it works out. I think the spots will be great - I'll share them once we are done. I'll update each day on our progress.

I am so tired of doing "the most accurate forecast to start your day"-type spots and I'm sure the audience is sick of seeing them. With 2 new anchors - I hope we can create a real connection with the audience.

Wish me luck! If it works, it was all my idea... if not, I'm blaming you.

3 comments:

Promogirl said...

I'm as sick of the same kinds of spots as you are. I hope this one turns out the way you want it to. I look forward to seeing the completed project!

Anonymous said...

Inspired a little by WCCO's process, were you?

I was. I hope your spots turn out great. I agree with both of you that there just has to be a better way.

Mike Lange said...

We did a series of spots very similar to what you are describing here at WKOW in Madison, WI.

The spots focus on the anchor's personalities. They've been running for 5 months and ratings are up 150%.

Take a look, maybe this will help you along. Feel free to give me some feedback as well.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M4Cfpw3UEOg