Tuesday, January 8, 2008

New Morning Spots: Day 2

It sounds like news coverage of a hostage situation: I've been taken captive by these promos: Day 2.

Today was all about logging and cutting up the footage. I downright refuse to transcribe - so I created a timeline for each anchor and cut down their answers into clips. Then I took one or two word "keyword" notes which I plan to type up tonight at home. Hopefully by tomorrow - the spots will start to come together.

I'm really hoping to find a clever turn I can do with the type onscreen or tag lines. Someone has already called me on taking a page from WCCO's spots. I think I took an idea from one spot, modified it and am taking an idea from another spot - and trying to meld the two. It could be cool. It could be great. It could be downright plagerism. Shhh... don't tell anybody.

I think the coffee shop WCCO spots have inspired me to come up with a clever way to bring it all together. Now the hard part -- be clever. Doh!

In case you didn't see it in the comments, Mike Lange from WKOW in Madison, WI shared some spots they did there. Nice spots that really make the talent seem like they like each other and know each other well. Unfortunatly in my situation, our anchors are new and don't know each other well yet...

Here are Mike's spots... thx for sharing!

6 comments:

Promogirl said...

These remind me of some spots I saw on 602's website. I don't remember the call letters or location (but I think it was California) but the spots featured two of their anchors supposedly answering phoned in questions. One of them featured a rooster typing the copy. Does anyone remember these or know where they came from? They were certainly different.

IDOPROMOZ said...

That was KPIX. The spots were much crazier than I'm doing - or like. I thought they were interesting and may play to that audience - but man, they were different.

I heard they saw some big ratings growth after the campaign launched - so if it works, it works!

I hope going the "personality"/get to know the anchors route gets some real results. We've never done it. The competition hasn't done this. I'm glad to be breaking out of the mold.

I think the KPIX spots are on Youtube, fyi.

Anonymous said...

Aw...I didn't mean to give you a hard time or call you out for stealing from WCCO. I think borrowing a winning creative approach is totally fair as long as you don't plagiarize. Who among us is not derivative in some way?

You did a whole post on it, I think, with people who outright stole from you.

IDOPROMOZ said...

Damn you evil monkey!!! Get out of my closet!! (family guy reference for those who don't know... otherwise, it sounds even creepier)...

Yes, "borrowing" or being inspired is what I'm doing... :)

If there's a completely original idea out there... I'd like to see it. And then steal it. That's how I roll.

Anonymous said...

Any way of using the fact the anchors don't really know each other as a strength? Maybe put the spots in the context of "get to know the anchors as they get to know each other."

Promogirl said...

KPIX! Thanks for reminding me. Nothing is worse than trying to find a promo when you can't remember the call letters...